Also known as "Generalatul Nou", the building is part of the "Cetatea Timișoara" urban site. It appears on Timișoara's plans from 1727 and is considered the oldest building that has preserved its original volume. Following the conquest of Timișoara by the Habsburgs in 1716, they demolished all the buildings except the Huniade Castle. Still, it was rebuilt differently in 1856 after the damage suffered during the siege of 1849.
In the 18th century, the building was the residence of the military governor generals of Timișoara. Count Mercy also lived here. Between 1849-1860 it was the administrative seat of the newly founded province of Serbian Vojvodina Banat Timișoara. Emperor Franz Joseph was also hosted here during his visit to Timișoara on 14-16 June 1852. In 1923 King Ferdinand and Queen Maria planted the two oak trees that still stand in front of the building today.
On 8 May 2019, by government decision, the right of administration of the building passed from the Ministry of National Defence to the Ministry of Culture and National Identity, which will rehabilitate and refurbish the historical monument building through the specialized structure, the Project Management Unit, with the financial support of the Council of Europe Development Bank, to create the National Museum of the Anti-Communist Revolution of December 1989 here.