The park was established in 1891, together with the Children's Park, on the occasion of the Universal Exhibition (industrial, commercial and agricultural), when flower arrangements were made here by gardeners Wilhelm Mühle, Franz Niemetz and Beno Agatsy. The flowers were admired by Franz Joseph, who visited the exhibition. The landscaping of the park was started in 1929 by landscape architects Árpád Mühle, son of Wilhelm Mühle, and Mihai Demetrovici, head of the horticultural service at the time. After the World War II bombings, the park was rebuilt and various open-air shows were held there. There was also a sports ground in the park, which in winter was used as an ice rink and in summer as a tennis and volleyball court.