The history of water in Timisoara dates back far into the past, with records of systems for supplying the old city dating back to 1600. However, we can only talk about modern systems from the beginning of the 20th century. The first wastewater treatment plant in Romania was put into operation in Timisoara on October 26, 1912, and the first water plant in the city was established on June 1, 1914. Also in 1914, the Timisoara City Water and Sewerage Enterprise, known as ACOT, was founded, the first form of public service organization in the country. All of these achievements are linked to the name of a talented young engineer, Stan Vidrighin, who later became a influential figure of the time.