One of the city's oldest squares, St. George's Square, was transformed into a mosque during the Ottoman occupation and even stripped of its central element following the city's modernisation transformations. Between 1845 and 1848, the Catholic seminary housed the city's first secular higher education institution. Until 1914 the square was dominated by the "Jesuit church" or "seminary church" dedicated to St George. St. George's Square was the station for the first horse tramway, which was put into operation in July 1869, and the terminus of the tramway line to the Fabric district.
In 1996 the equestrian statue of Saint George fighting the dragon was placed in the square, a commemorative sculpture for the events of December 1989, created in bronze by the artist Silvia Radu, on a pedestal made by Ștefan Călărășanu.